Monday, November 28, 2011

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

October & November have pretty much completely come & gone at this point...I had no idea how crazy things were going to get after my last blog entry. My former job was experiencing a very high amount of turnover and I kept hearing about other opportunities that may be out there, so out of curiosity one night I found a part-time opening at a local hospital.  I applied online really thinking that nothing would ever come of it...because honestly, the employers who are willing to deal with my scheduling needs at this point are probably very few and far between (hence the reason I had stayed at my old job). But anyway, a week or two went by, I had pretty much forgotten about the whole thing and then I got a phone call saying they wanted to interview me.  This was 2 days before we left for 2 weeks of vacation in the lower 48. I was shocked and again thinking nothing would come of it since I couldn't see anyone agreeing to my schedule. I went to the interview the same day we flew to Chicago.  Let's just say it was an extremely hectic day. I laid out to them what I could do and left thinking, "this is my dream job and it's never going to happen". This hospital has a decent pediatric unit, small NICU, and a 3 bed PICU.  So we went on vacation- and had a great time getting to visit our parents & families - and then I came back and still had not heard anything from the hospital. I emailed in a few days later to see how things were going and later found out they were offering me the position.  By now it's early November.  I put in my notice and 2 weeks later I was sitting in orientation.  So far I am loving it though the learning curve is steep and I'm having to relearn and recall things I had stored away in the file cabinet of pharmacy school.  It's a great opportunity to keep my mind fresh in hospital pharmacy and especially peds and I really felt like God handed me this on a silver platter (and trust me a lot of prayers have happened over the last year in this regard). My hours are basically whatever I want to work and are flexible around Derek's schedule.  I'm back working primarily in peds.  Seriously. Dream come true.

So that's been the majority of the last 2 months.

Skylar has been growing by leaps & bounds as far as speech, independent play, and expression. She is starting to speak in 2 and 3 word sentences, can count, knows colors, and recognizes written letters A, B, and C. We introduced her to Christmas when we put up our decorations this year and have read a story about the birth of Jesus every night before bed and have been singing songs about Santa (she says "Anta" and "ho ho ho").  She also knows some of the main words to "Up on the Housetop" and can help you sing it.  She is also doing hilarious things like blowing bubbles in her cup, laughing when she passes gas (she says she has "bubbles" in her tummy), and playing ring around the rosie.  Summary: Fun age!

We recently booked our January vacation to Hawaii when we know we will be more than ready for warmth and sunshine for a week!! We already have nearly 3 feet of snow on the ground and November is not even over...we have been lucky to see temps above 10 degrees the last few weeks (though the notoriously horrible weather forecast is predicting us to be up the 20's this week- hooray!!).  Hopefully soon we'll get some time to hit the ski slopes.  Skylar will be too young this year to be on the mountain, but we have her out in our yard practicing for next year.

And a small update on potty training:
We have been what I would call "fully involved" in potty training since mid- September. Skylar wears a diaper at bedtime and that is it- the rest of the time is undies (or undies with a pullup over the top if she's in an outfit that I don't want to change or we'll be in the car for a long ride or whatever).  Most days are either accident free or have 1 accident that happens because she waited too long to tell you she needed to go (too busy playing or distracted). The potty watch we got as a part of the Potty Time DVD (from the people who make Signing Time) has been a fun addition since it reminds her that she needs to go (esp. helpful when she's busy playing or we're in an unfamiliar environment like out shopping, at a friends' house, etc).  I'm not sure when I'll attempt night time training, but it probably will not be until after her birthday in February, which is probably also when we'll convert the crib to a toddler bed.

That is all for now - hopefully my next update will not be 2 months from now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment